Walsingham Railway Station was on the Wells and Fakenham Railway, later part of the Great Eastern Railway. It opened on 1 December 1857, and served the villages of Great Walsingham and Little Walsingham. It closed on 5 October 1964. The station building is currently the home to Saint Seraphim’s Orthodox chapel.
Since 1982 there has been a second station created at Walsingham – the southern terminus of the narrow gauge Wells and Walsingham Light Railway.
Walsingham is situated 4 miles from the beautiful North Norfolk coast, between Wells-next-the-Sea and Fakenham, and is well worth a visit.
The village has Saxon origins and was mentioned in the Doomsday book. The buildings you see today, date from the Mediaeval period when Walsingham was one of the major European centres of pilgrimage. After the reformation pilgrimage ceased. The modern pilgrimage revival began at the turn of the twentieth century and Walsingham is once again a major centre of pilgrimage with both Roman Catholic and Anglican shrines.
- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- History of Walsingham
- Contact Us